Alison Spencer, Food and Art Technician
As part of our series entitled #TechnicianTalk, we are delighted to introduce you to Ali, another of our amazing technicians.
When did you start at Eggar’s?
Sixteen years ago as a Food and Art Technician.
I was also a student here when my favourite subjects were Home Economics and Textiles. Through my love of these subjects, I went on to follow a career in home furnishings, making things like curtains, pelmets and blinds from home. I worked for five different businesses in Alton, Farnham and Frensham.
What roles do you have in school?
My role includes a wide variety of responsibilities, including:
- Working with students in food practical lessons and offering additional support to students who need extra help
- For both my roles I order, check stock levels and ensure that all equipment is out and readily available for students
- Administrative duties including photocopying and laminating
- During practical exams, I offer support to students and the teacher
- Renewing displays in Art rooms and around school, I’m also handy with a paint brush!
- I am also responsible for the Textiles room. I maintain the sewing machines, order and prepare resources for after school clubs.
What is your favourite part of your role/s?
The best thing about my role is working with all the amazing, hardworking, friendly and supportive staff. They have made me feel very welcome and are appreciative of the support I’ve given them. I also love working with students of all ages and abilities. Seeing them progress on their journey to Year 11 makes all the help and support I’ve given them worthwhile.
You know you’ve done a good job when they give you a big smile and say “Thank you miss for all your help”……
What are your hobbies outside of school?
Sewing, dressmaking, soft furnishings, crafts, upcycling furniture, walking my dog and lots of retail therapy!
Come and see us! Take a Guided Tour around our amazing school and see what we mean when we say #WeAreEggars. We still have some spaces for the Tours in June. Book today: https://t.co/eSIlOtZxl2 6:54 PM - 23 May 2022
Leadership. Teamwork. Fun! Last Friday Lt Commander Russ Haines from the Royal Navy led a fabulous training day for our student leadership team. Their mobile training apparatus was very similar to a large scale Meccano set! #WeAreEggars https://t.co/9so2z6EtpV https://t.co/IIcLQgmcpn 4:15 PM - 22 May 2022
It's Fri-YAY and we're celebrating a brilliant Year 8 trampolinist! Abi not only won GOLD in the Regional Challenge Cup Qualifier for Double Mini Trampoline (Level 1) but she also qualified for the next round! Congratulations Abi! #NumberOne https://t.co/hCOfKitPxk 4:12 PM - 20 May 2022