The Academy Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee (the liability of the members is set at £10 in the model Articles of Association). The Trust has two layers of governance:
- the members, who operate at a strategic level with ultimate control over the direction of the Academy Trust, and
- the trustees with responsibility for day-to-day management and operation of the Academy Trust.
The functions of the members of the Academy Trust include:
- Overseeing the achievement of the objectives of the company.
- Taking part Extraordinary General Meetings.
- Appointing some of the governors.
- Signing off the company’s financial accounts and annual report.
- Power to amend the Articles of the company and, ultimately, to remove the trustees/directors.
Overall, members usually have much more limited practical involvement in the management of the company than the governors.
Current members are:
- Keith Arrowsmith-Oliver
- Stephen Dunne
- Gareth Morgan
- Steve Williams
- Alison Harris
The Trustees (the Trustee Body)
In Academies, the governors are directors or trustees of the Academy Trust. Most day-to-day management decisions are made collectively through a board of directors typically referred to as the governing body.
The governing body manages the Academy on behalf of the Academy Trust and the key responsibilities are to:
- Ensure the quality of educational provision.
- Challenge and monitor the performance of the school.
- Manage the Academy Trust’s finances and property.
- Manage the staff.
- Exercise reasonable skill and care in carrying out their duties.
- Ensure that the Academy Trust complies with charity and company law.
- Operate the Academy in accordance with the Funding Agreement that has been signed with the Secretary of State.
Pupils at Eggar's School in Alton have plenty to talk about https://t.co/pkcCzvTOV5 7:17 AM - 03 Apr 2023
https://t.co/rN03QSyh52 7:38 AM - 02 Apr 2023
We hope everyone has a happy, active Easter. Looking forward to summer activities on our return https://t.co/UM4kOigExA 6:57 AM - 01 Apr 2023